“Here is a list of impressive monuments that you can enjoy in the city of Cuéllar.”
The Walled City of Cuéllar is one of the most important in Castilla y León. It is formed by two enclosures, one superior, more fortified, and one inferior, more urban, both with countermuralla. The complexity and variety of its doors make it a heritage asset of the utmost importance with an approximate length of 2,000 m. They are a great attraction for tourism in Cuellar
St. Martin’s Church
Next to the Castle is the Church of San Martín, which currently houses the Mudéjar Art Interpretation Center. It was also declared a National Artistic Monument in 1931 and is one of the best examples of the architecture of the town.
St. Basil’s Gate
Part of the walls of the citadel in its northern part, is the Arch of San Basilio, also known as Arco del Robledo. Its construction probably dates from the 12th century, along with the Arch of San Andrés, containing mainly Mudejar elements and some Gothic elements in the finishes of some of its cloths. It is a small fortress flanked by a turned cube and rectangular tower. It has a triple ring bow.
San Basilio Convent
In its beginnings it was on the banks of the Cega river but in 1606, the monks moved to the San Andrés neighborhood, in the upper part of Cuéllar. It is a great attraction for tourism in Cuéllar. The new convent was built at the beginning of the XVII century and in its church relics of several martyrs and the Virgin of Our Lady of the Rochela were venerated, gothic-delayed image brought from France that at the moment is in the church of San Andrés. p>
St. Andrew’s Gate
The Arch of San Andrés gives access to the walled enclosure of the city. Of the wide defensive set only an elegant pointed arch is preserved, which has Mudejar remains.
St. Stephen’s Church
In the center of the city rises the Church of San Esteban, declared in 1931 National Artistic Monument. Documented as early as 1247, it was the church of los hijosdalgo and where the archive of the “Brotherhood of the Cross” was kept. It is one of the most important Mudejar churches of Cuéllar.
San Esteban Archaeological Park
Next to the church of San Esteban, what used to be the old cemetery, has been restored as the Medieval Archaeological Park of San Esteban. Here you can see more than thirty anthropomorphic tombs excavated on land, which have been enlarged to make possible their conservation.
It was founded by Arcediano Gómez González in 1424 to promote education among the cuellaranos, becoming this institution one of the most important in the area for centuries. In its beginnings it was installed in several houses, being the building that today is known later.
Another arch is that of La Judería, of which only the door remains. It is believed that this neighborhood was between the citadel and the city, although this fact is not well documented.
Granary by Agustín Daza
The old granary of Agustín Daza was raised in 1626 according to an inscription on the lintel of the door of the house by order of the priest Arcediano Gómez González concerned about social issues. This barn was a social work in favor of the poor farmers. It is a great attraction for tourism in Cuéllar
Attached to what was the church of Santiago is the Arch of Santiago, which collapsed in the seventies a tower that provided magnificent views of Cuellar. He is waiting for a restoration plan.
From what was the church of Santiago, at present only its remains are found. Its origin dates back to the middle of the 13th century and was restored in 1988 by the students of the school-workshop. In it the investiture ceremonies of the Knights of the Order were celebrated.
Wall and San Martin Gate
Near the Grammar Study is the Arch and San Martín Walls, which apparently rest on another anterior arch. It is of great proportions and there are scholars who maintain that it could be restored and consolidated by the II Duke of Alburquerque, because his shield was on it.
Panera and Casa del Duque de Alburquerque
Very close to the walls of San Martín is La Panera or house of the Duke of Alburquerque, built at the end of the 18th century to store grain. Possibly it was also the second home of the Dukes or their relatives. It is a protected building and currently only a part is used. It is a great attraction for tourism in Cuéllar
Magdalena Chapel and Hospital
The Hospital de la Magdalena was founded by Arcediano Gómez González in 1429 to serve people in need. According to a description of the cleric, the building would be composed of the chapel, with a sacristy to keep the coffers with money and ornaments.
Palace of Peter I
The Palace of Pedro I was the ancestral home of the Velázquez de Cuéllar, located on Calle del Colegio, considered the best civil Romanesque palace preserved in Spain and declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in 1974. Pedro I, son of Alfonso XI and María de Portugal, established his court at Cuéllar in 1351.
City Hall. Old Jail
The building was built at the beginning of the 16th century and now houses the Cuéllar Town Hall, located in the Plaza Mayor. It has a beautiful Gothic-Renaissance courtyard and it contains a diptych by Juan Fernández, painted around 1429, originally in the Hospital de la Magdalena.
St. Michael’s Church
Located in the Plaza Mayor is the Archpriest Church of San Miguel. The building is fundamentally Gothic, although it has Romanesque, Mudejar and Renaissance elements. The chapels conserve cross vaults and Gothic windows and according to Fernández de los Ríos, in this church the first tower clock in Spain was placed around 1395.
Palace of Santa Cruz
Located in the street of the same name we find this brick building built in Mudejar style in the seventeenth century. Part of the exterior has been rehabilitated, not the interior. It has a large wooden balcony that looks over the wall on its east facade.
St. Peter’s Church
At the end of St. Peter’s Street and closing the walls in its southern part, stands the old Church of San Pedro. It appears in the chronicles in 1095 and was built with a fortress aspect to be the end of the old walls.
Casa de los Rojas. Palace of Justice
Another family was the Rojas, whose last name still survives. His House is today Palace of Justice, also known as the “House of Balls”, which belonged to D. Melchor de Rojas, founder of the convent of La Concepción. This last name is documented in the second half of the 15th century with Gómez de Rojas.
House of the Velázquez del Puerco
In the same street of San Pedro is the Casa de los Velázquez del Puerco, another of the oldest families of Cuéllar. Important figures of the court belonged to her, among them Diego Velázquez de Cuéllar, conqueror of Cuba. The facade of the house has a pointed arch.
Strolling down the street of San Pedro, you pass through the Casa de los Daza, on whose stone facade the shields of the Casa are located. This was one of the families of the town’s ancestry, who even had their own chapel in the Church of San Miguel.
Santa Marina Tower
Towards the interior of the city in the direction of Santa Marina Square, there is the tower of what was the church of the same name. This temple already existed in 1227, although its space is now occupied by a private house attached to the tower, the only remaining Mudejar tower that remains.
In the neighborhood of the same name is what was the church and convent of the Trinity. The convent rises where formerly was the hermitage of San Blas. The Trinitarians decided to move in 1554 to be closer to the village, next to the old Church of the Trinity.
House of the VeLázquez and Ruíz de Herrera
The house of the Velázquez and Ruiz de Herrera, another family of ancestry cuellarana, was located on Segovia Street. It was a palace of the fifteenth or sixteenth century that is now privately owned and is in total ruin.
Church of Santa María de la Cuesta
On one of the hillocks that dominate Cuéllar, stands the Romanesque church of Santa María de la Cuesta, from the beginning of the 13th century. In addition to the church, in its origins it had a small cloister, a holy field on the right side and a courtyard with pointed arches on the left.
Church of El Salvador
Outside the city walls, in one of its suburbs and in the square of the same name, the Church of El Salvador rises. It is a Mudejar construction of 1299 whose tower is the most slender of Cuellar, presenting in height half-point arches bent over which runs a frieze of corner bars.
Church of Santo Tomé
In the avenida.Camilo José Cela, near the Convento de la Concepción, stands the Santo Tomé Chapel, which was part of the primitive church, already built in 1272. In its interior is venerated to the patron saint of Cuéllar, the Virgen del Rosario, polychrome wood carving.
Convento de la Concepción
On the other side of the San Francisco promenade stands the convent of La Concepción, founded in 1587. The whole is of simple lines, the church having undergone several modifications, raising the Community a new temple in 1739. The cover of the old Gothic church is transversal to the current one.
Convent of Santa Isalbel (Santa Ana)
In the Plaza de San Francisco is the old convent of Santa Isabel or Santa Ana, as it is popularly known. This convent dates from 1571, according to a tombstone on the access door, now chopped.
San Francisco Convent
On the side of the San Francisco Park, the remains of the church and convent of San Francisco, already existing in 1257, are raised, although in the 15th century the Dukes of Alburquerque they chose as a place of burial, rebuilding and enriching it considerably.
Santa Clara Convent
The Convent of Santa Clara is located to the south of the town in the direction of Segovia. It is the oldest of the convents of Cuéllar, of 1244 and received the name of Santa María Magdalena. The set presents different styles as a result of the different construction stages it has gone through.
Old windmill that delimits the fence of the Huerta del Duque since the 16th century.